Friday, March 10, 2006

Essays and Midterm are done!


So as I promised, now that my essays are handed in and my midterm is done, I'm back on the blog!
Tonight I picked up Rob's favourite under-$20 bottle of wine, called Castano Monastrell. Monastrell is a thick-skinned sweet grape, which in France is known as Mourvedre.

Until recently, Mourvedre was rarely bottled by itself. It is usually found in blends with grape varietals such as Syrah(Shiraz) which is usually a little bit spicy, and has very good strucure, as well as Grenache, which is a very rich grape.

The grape on its own has a very gamey taste to it when drank young. If you get a good year, it can be a very intense, fruity wine with a hint of blackberry on the palette. You could age this wine, if you're into that. Me personally, I just like to buy it, and drink it. None of this, waiting 10 or 15 or 20 years to drink a bottle. I'm just WAY too impatient. Get me a corkscrew!

I was very tempted to buy a bottle of port(fortified wine) while at the liquor store but stopped myself. Next time I will buy the port, and I will tell you all about it. If you like sweet, body-warming alcohol that you don't drink, you sip very slowly whilst enjoying good company, you'll love port. Thats for another time.

Also I'd really like it if anyone had any ideas for topics on wine that I could write about. I'd love to hear any questions. If you're looking for wines to pair with food, and you're not sure what compliments what, I'm your lady.

3 comments:

Andrea Thomas said...

Thanks! I enjoy writing about wines as much as I enjoy drinking them. Lol!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Andrea
Saw your notes on the Castano Monasrell and thought I would mention also their Hecula, a blend with some Garnacha-$16.00 range. If you like Cotes-de-Rhone try the Terre de Levant at $15.00
I am a wine geek and work part time in a VQA Store
Cheers
Bruce

Andrea Thomas said...

Where are you located Bruce? I just moved back to Vancouver and am looking for a job at a wine store.