Monday, March 13, 2006

Osborne SOLAZ 2003

On Friday night, Rob and I went over to our friends Mark, and Amanda's place to play some poker. We brought the bottle of Castano Monastrell, and Amanda had also picked up a Spanish wine called Osborne SOLAZ. It was a 2003 Vintage and is a blend of Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon, a very tastey wine. I found it to be big in fruit(cherries, raspberries and blackberries), with a little bit of spice and a nice long finish. It was a very rich cherry red colour, and had been aged in oak barrels a minimum of 4 months.

Tempranillo pronounced: Temp-rah-nee-yoh, is a very strong aromatic spanish grape which has different names in different regions in Spain. It is the most widespread grape varietal in the world.
Cabernet Sauvignon in Spain is mainly grown in Catalonia, Navarre, and Ribera del Duero.

This blended wine would pair very well with Barbequed red meats, and pasta. You can pair any kind of wine with whatever food you'd like, whether you like your wines to contrast or compliment, is totally up to you. Contrast, example: A spicy chicken stirfry with slightly sweeter white wines(Gewurztraminer, Riesling). Or Compliment, example: Big Full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon with Steak and Potatoes.

I give a big thumbs up to Amanda for picking this wine!

Oh and when I say that we went over to their house to play poker, I mean that everyone else played poker while Amanda and I sat on the couch gabbing with our plate of fancy cheeses a bottle of wine(or two) and the Trivial Pursuit SNL edition DVD. Much more fun then losing money, in my opinion.

2 comments:

Breanne Gentner said...

Glad you're posting again... except you've reminded me of how long it's been since I had wine! I contemplated getting some red with the chocolate buffet, but didn't. WHY!?

Andrea Thomas said...

Oooh, an Australian Cab would've gone GREAT with a chocolate buffet!
We really have to get together soon and drink some wine. Lets make a date, let me know when you're free.