Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Poker and wine..again.

My wine drinking in the last couple of weeks seems to be revolved around Rob and Mark's poker nights. Last night, Rob, Mark and some other friends got together at their friend Josh's house to play poker. Since I didn't want to sit at home and do nothing, and I had a bottle of wine just sitting in our little mini winerack collecting dust, I decided to give Amanda a call. She invited me over to watch the movie "Waiting" with Ryan Reynolds(which we didn't end up watching) and to drink some wine. Amanda is my unofficial wine drinking partner, my last 3 wine reviews have been wines that I drank with Amanda.

The bottle I brought over to her place last night was a 2003 Inniskillin Cabernet Sauvignon(VQA). It had blackberry, and currant on the nose, and plums, cherries, and oak on the palette.
Inniskillin has vineyards in both Ontario and in BC. I'm hoping to get out to the Okanagan this summer to do a little wine tour. When I worked for Mark Anthony Fine Wine Merchants, I didn't get the opportunity to visit their winery(Mission Hill), which was disappointing. I've heard that the Mission Hill winery and vineyards are gorgeous. I've seen pictures, but I'm sure they don't do it justice.

Anyway, back to the Inniskillin. It was yummy, the tannins were a little strong at first taste, but softened up after being exposed to air for awhile. I think this Cab Sauv would compliment any kind of pasta with a thick tomato-packed marinara sauce.

2 comments:

Andrea Thomas said...

Thats awesome, we haven't picked the wine for our wedding yet. We'll do that in a couple of months. I'm glad you're reading my blog! When you posted a comment before, I thought it was an allison that Rob goes to school with. I didn't know it was STYX!

Andrea Thomas said...

Very nice work boys. Sounds like you guys had yourself a fine tasting. Lol.