Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wine Glasses

This is a Cab/Merlot/Bordeaux glass

I don't have any new wines to review, but Amanda asked a good question regarding wine glasses. Being that there are about a billion(Thats probably not true) different types of glasses out there, its really difficult to know what style of glass to buy for your wine drinking needs.

First you'll probably want to ask yourself, Do I tend to drink reds, more then whites? or vice versa? If you drink reds the majority of the time, and rarely drink whites, you would benefit from a Cab/Merlot/Bordeaux style glass. The more standard style tasting glass is called a Chimney Shape, its usually wider at the bottom of the bowl, and narrows a bit at the top. The wide bottom makes it easier to get a really good swirl, and the narrow top holds in the "Bouquet"(as Mark so eloquently put it ;)), so you can get your nose right in there for a good whiff!

I personally love really big wine glasses, the bigger the better! Its important when drinking some wines, to have lots of room for the wine to breathe. These large glasses are great, especially if you don't have a wine decanter.

You should also select glasses that are clear, and don't have any engravings, so you can clearly see the wine.

Also, when you're washing your wine glasses, don't use soap(I know this sounds weird, but you're not supposed to) Rinse each glass under really hot water for 20 or 30 seconds each, and hand dry. It sounds really annoying to do, but the soap, overtime, can actually ruin the glass, and eventually the taste of soap will forever be stuck in your glasses. Its pretty gross when you get a nice glass of red and you can taste a hint of Sunlight, or whatever brand you use.

(Hope all this helps Amanda) The glass on the right is a standard tasting glass

4 comments:

jblue said...

When I lived with my parents, I would wash their wine glasses with soap. Never even thought about it until reading this post. I wonder if my parents were cursing me under their breath, or if they weren't aware of the longterm effects either. Or maybe they had a thing for a "hint of Sunlight".

I don't drink wine and yet I read your blog. Are you going to turn me into a wineaholic?

Andrea Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrea Thomas said...

That's funny, most people don't know that they're not supposed to wash their wine glasses with soap. I didn't know until I worked at a specialty wine store and we were doing in-store tastings every week. My boss put up this letter right above the sink on how to properly wash your stemware. it also tells you in the RIEDEL(Riedel is the cadillac of stemware) catalogue how to clean stemware.

And Yes, I am going to turn you into a wineaholic.

Hope you and Sandra are having fun planning your wedding!If you're wondering what type of wine to serve at the wedding, feel free to ask my advice ;)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your space.
You have turned into a beautiful woman,
Nice to see,
I am not a wine drinker.
Too old for that.
Love a party tho.