Wednesday, February 22, 2006

How to tell if a wine is 'good'

You hear about all these wine ratings by critics who may, and probably do, have a completely different palate then your own. Let your own tastebuds be the judge of what wine is 'good'. I personally can't STAND South African Pinotage, I think it tastes like mud, I don't care if it was rated at 94-points. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean other people can't.
There are other factors in determining what makes a wine 'good' such as, whether or not it has any faults(TCA, its a bacteria that makes the wine and cork smell mouldy, like wet cardboard), or if it is well balanced(containing just the right amount of alcohol, fruit, body, tannin, sweetness, and acidity), and complex. The simple answer is just, trust your tastebudes, if you drink it and you don't like it, don't buy it again. If you like it, and nobody else does, drink it anyway.
So you see, go with what you like, and everyone will be happy. Always trust your 'gut'.

All this wine talk is making me thirsty.

5 comments:

Breanne Gentner said...

You amaze me with information! I really known nothing about wine, but then again I only moved away from "wine" like Arbor Mist and Boone's a year or so ago.

Andrea Thomas said...

Aw thanks Brea! I'll keep it coming for you! When are we having a wine tasting? Lets plan it soon!

Andrea Thomas said...

Thanks for the comments guys and gals! I promise to update soon. I'm in the middle of writing a couple of essays at the moment and am trying to prioritize. Anyway, as soon as my essays are done, I'll be up and posting again for all your wine info needs.
Allison: I really like wine. Lol. It was actually Rob's idea for me to start the blog.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Sweetie! You do me proud! Now I'm getting inspired to open a Blog. Just not sure what it would be about. I'm really impressed with your, so much really good information and great pictures too, injected with your sense of humour and your own personal style....a winning combination, for sure!

Andrea Thomas said...

Thanks Mom!

You SHOULD start a blog. I'd read it everyday!