Thursday, March 23, 2006

By request...Gewürztraminer (Guh-Vehrtz-trah-meen-er)

Gewürztraminer, is my favourite white wine to drink in the summer. I remember sitting on the patio at Cielo's(my favourite restaurant in White Rock, B.C.) drinking a bottle of Gewürz' with Rob while staring at the ocean and enjoying some the best bruschetta I've ever had in my life(seriously, I challenge you to find a better tasting bruschetta).

If you pick up a nice bottle of Gewürztraminer from the Okanagan in B.C.(I really enjoy Mission Hill's Five Vineyards Gewurztraminer) you'll find that its slightly sweet, very floral(honeysuckle and roses), jam-packed with tropical fruit flavours like mango, and lychee(gives it a hint of nutty flavour), and it'll have a little hint of spice.

"Gewürzt" means "Spicy" in German, and "Traminer" means "Coming from Tramin" which is a small city in South Tyrol, Italy where the grape was originally grown. Gewürztraminer comes both dry, and sweet. Depending on what your personal taste is like, you should be able to find a gewurz' that's right for you.

Any reputable wine shop will have knowledgeable staff that should be able to help you pick out a good Gewürztraminer or any other wine, just tell them what characteristics you like or don't like, they can then use the process of elimination to find a wine that you'll enjoy.

My friend Katharine from back home in beautiful White Rock, B.C. requested this post because her favourite wine is Gewürztraminer. Hope you enjoy! I'll bring a bottle for us to drink when I'm back in town in one month!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a confirmed Gewurtz fan, thanks for the info. I particularly enjoy Quail's Gate's version, but I haven't tried the Mission Hill.

Question though: where does one find good wines in Saskatoon? I think I've looked everywhere with no luck.

Andrea Thomas said...

Hi anonymous! lol.

There's a liquor store downtown I think around 25th and 4th? They have a pretty big wine selection there. Thats where I've been going for my wine. I agree, its pretty tough to find a good selection here.

Andrea
(could you leave your name so I know who I'm talking to?)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Andrea - this is Alana inquiring. (I'm in your beau's class)

If you ever choose to push for a wine shop in town (or open one of your own perhaps?) just let me know how I can help!

Andrea Thomas said...

No prob Alana! :)

Don't think I'll be opening up any businesses here in Saskatoon, but its definitely a great idea that someone should consider doing. I'm not sure there's a big enough wine drinking community here to support a specialty wine store though.