Sunday, February 19, 2006

For my first post I'll explain how my amazing wine blog came to be. Rob and I went to a little restaurant in Saskatoon this evening called "The Living Room" where we had some dinner. I ordered the Thai Chicken noodle salad, Rob had the baked brie and garlic plate and we ordered a bottle of wine (Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon, which I will review later). We got on the topic of what living a life of content meant to both of us. We were both pretty much on par with our vision of 'the good life' which was good since we're getting married this summer ;).
My idea of what the good life is consists of the obvious simple pleasures in life such as love, family, friends, good company, warm climates, a view, good food, and last but not least, wine.

I've really only scratched the surface in the complex world of wine in the last two years. I held a position as a wine consultant at a specialty wine store in White Rock, BC, where I learned LOADS (thats right, loads!) about wine and got to taste more wine then I could ever possibly dream of. If you had asked me a couple years ago what my favourite wine was I'd have said "Arbor Mist" that GROSS sweet fizzy crap that they sell at beer stores and pass off as 'wine'. Now my palette is much more developed (read: expensive) which might not be a good thing since we can't afford my taste in wines, being poor students in Saskatchewan.

I may as well start with my first blog review on the wine we drank this evening (which got me a little tipsy).

Woodbridge(by Robert Mondavi) Cabernet Sauvignon
California (2003)
It consists of 92% Cabernet Sauvignon/2% each Cabernet Franc, Barbera, Petit Verdot/1% each Merlot and Zinfandel

It had very little finish (aftertaste). For me the finish is as important a part of the wine tasting experience as the swirling, sniffing, and slurping. It was just sort of a low-tier Robert Mondavi wine that I would classify as a 'table wine'; its cheap, its drinkable, not overly fruity with a little bit of spice. If you're not looking for something overly complex, not necessarily to pair with food, but to pair with good company, where the main focus isn't the wine, but the conversation, then this wine would go very nicely.

Thats my bit for today. There really isn't a huge selection of wines in beerstores, liquor stores, or restaurants here in Saskatoon, but I'll do what I can with what I've got available to me. We'll be back to Vancouver for the summer in 2 months where the wine industry is HUGE, so my posts will be about a wider selection!


1 comment:

Breanne Gentner said...

Yay! I love blogs! I'll link you!