Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Why is Wine so complicated?


As history has it, wine was sort of an 'accidental' discovery. It started with the Egyptians in around 6000 BC as you can see in some of their hieroglyphs with big earthenware jugs called 'amphorae' and grapes. Thank god for the Egyptians! I guess they figured out that when you leave grapes in a jar, over time, they ferment(the process of sugar converting to alcohol). I won't bore you with too much wine history, but I thought it was kind of interesting. Who can forget about Jesus' miracle? Turning water into wine, I hear about 6 amphorae worth! Jesus knew how to party;).

Really though, I just like to drink the delicious grape juice, who cares where it all came from! I thought I'd share the little bit I know about wines roots, but I'm leaving out some really important parts of wine history, because its way too long to write about and I simply don't know the whole history. If you'd like to know more about the facsinating history of wine, buy a book, or you can ask me and I'll check out some of my books and get back to you.

I'm just a gal who likes to drink the vino.
Cheers!

No comments: