Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wine gadgets.

A couple of weeks ago, I met up with my friend Dave, who I had not seen in years. We started the night at Stephos Greek Taverna for dinner. We shared an order of cheese balls, then I ordered their chicken souvlaki pita, and Dave ordered the chicken souvlaki. Our meals were delicious (and cheap!) and the company was even better.

After we left Stephos we sauntered down toward English Bay and popped into the Bayside Lounge which, from the outside, does not look like anything special. The bar has a circular design full of windows so everyone gets a view. We grabbed a couple of cheap drinks (they have daily drink specials) and found a table. When Dave got up to go to the washroom I started chatting with the couple sitting next to us and made a new friend, Catherine.

Catherine invited me to a networking event for start-up companies and entrepreneurs at the Lions Pub downtown. We went and had a really great time!

While at the event, I spoke with a very nice gentleman named Michael who has a company that sells miniature wine decanters designed to decant one glass at at time. This product is called the centellino. I was skeptical about the actual function of the gadget. The idea is that the wine will aerate in the centellino decanter better than it will in the glass. I do not believe this to be true. The pitch was that people do not want to decant inexpensive bottles of wine because they do not believe the long process of decanting will improve the wine. This is also false. Not to say that all wines will improve after spending a bit of time in a decanter but it never hurts to let your wine get a little bit of air before consuming it.

If you are not going to put your wine into a proper decanter anyway, you may as well just pour it into your glass to swirl (which also aerates the wine) and enjoy. The centellino is certainly impressive looking for a novice wine drinker but for me, I can not see myself using this product because I believe in the old fashioned swirl of the glass to let my wine breathe. That is not to say that the centellino does not work, it is just redundant. Michael was so generous as to give me one to try at home so if anyone would like to give it a try I would be more than happy to have a glass of wine (or two) with you using the centellino so you can judge for yourself.

I encourage you to check out the website and judge for yourself. I am only here to give my honest opinion.

Check out this link to an introductory video if you are not sure how it works. It is in Italian but there are English subtitles. It's only about 30 seconds long.

3 comments:

Candice said...

Decanters have saved my wine life! I use a Riedel decanter, and it was well worth the investment.

Riedel Decanters

Cam said...

Hi Andrea,

Are you in Calgary or Vancouver now? I'd like to have you attend some of our upcoming wine events - this is who we are & what we do: www.altovin.ca

Let me know if you're interested - cncholson@winspeer.com

Cheers,
Cam

andrea said...

Hi Cam,

I tried emailing you but the email you gave doesn't seem to work.